Newsletter
Would you like to join my mailing list? Just enter your email below to sign up!

Concealed Carry

Reviews

Q. Are there any places in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that I cannot lawfully carry a firearm?

A. Yes. Some of the more common places include *State and Federal Courthouses, *Post Offices, *Police Stations, Prisons and Jails, and virtually all other *Federal Buildings and some *State Buildings where metal detectors are in use.   *Schools and school grounds. Do not bring a gun onto school grounds without written permission, (good luck getting that…). School grounds include parking lots, driveways, and the grounds outside the building. You can pass by on the public roads while in legal possession of a firearm(s).

Marks NOTE: While all law abiding citizens are prohibited from carrying on school grounds,  history shows us time after time, this has not prevented psychopaths from murdering our children there, (or anyone anywhere else) in fact it has helped to enable criminals to easily commit these atrocities in so-called ‘gun free’ zones. Foolish legislation for places not under static law enforcement protection….there is a lot of blood on the hands of the asses that made the ‘Gun Free’ zones.

Other Places where law or policy can curtail carry.

*Public Library’s, (maybe a policy)

*Private party sporting events, concerts etc. where a search at the entrance takes place, sign posted, or policy. Anonymously Call ahead to find out….

*Any House of Worship without permission, (again, good luck getting that…), (maybe a policy)

*Medical property, Hospitals/Clinics etc., (maybe a policy, usually is).

*Anyplace where there is a ‘No Guns Allowed” posting on private property. If  you are not sure about a Hotel/Motel firearm policy, call ahead anonymously and ask, (maybe a policy, maybe not, at the owners discretion).

*Airports, For a brief and painful stint as a  TSA employee for one very long year at Logan, I had opportunity to inspect numerous firearms declared in checked baggage. There is set protocol/regulations in place that allow this, they are posted on airline websites. Notify the airline in advance of your intention to bring a firearm(s). NOTE:  Do NOT show up the day of your flight with a gun asking if you can bring it with you! You would be carried away by six huge State Troopers, and may never be heard from again…

*Bars/Restaurant’s, Use your head when it comes to drinking at these places. If your bound and determined to get smashed, leave the gun at home. If your caught intoxicated while in possession of a firearm you will lose your license to carry. Just as if your caught intoxicated while driving a vehicle you will lose your drivers license. Here is the difference, in Ma. you will get your drivers license back loooong before you will get your gun license back, if ever…..keep that in mind.

Transportation in a vehicle: A resident may transport a rifle or shotgun provided it is unloaded and he has at least an FID. A resident may transport a handgun, (loaded under direct control, read #22 Gun Sense) but only if he/she has a LTC.

Transporting Firearms

Q: How do I transport a gun in my vehicle?

A: A person with a Class “A” LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.

For more specific information see M.G.L. c. 140, §131C.

Q: Do I need to lock my non-large capacity rifles and shotguns in a case while transporting them in a vehicle?

A: No. They must be transported unloaded, but are not required to be in a locked case while transporting.

Q: Can I leave my gun in my car if I need to go into the store on my way home from the range or from hunting?

A: If your handgun or large capacity rifle or shotgun is transported in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, §131C (i.e. unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container) then the gun may be left temporarily unattended in the vehicle. Weapons transported in this manner will automatically be considered “stored or kept” in compliance with the safe storage requirements of §131L.

A person leaving a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun in an unattended vehicle is required to lock the rifle or shotgun in a case/container or in the trunk, or install a mechanical locking device on the weapon (i.e. cable or trigger lock).

Sincerely, Mark Shean,

submitted 6-25-2012, revised 8-13-2014

In my opinion/observation, a no guns allowed ‘policy’ or so-called ‘Gun Free Zone’ does NOT come with any guarantee on the part of the policy maker to protect me or you, I protect me……the police get there to late 99% of the time. These ‘policy makers’ have much innocent blood on their hands. These very misguided ‘policy makers’ are trying to make it so the only place we can carry would be from our home to our vehicle and back to our home again…………..

Firearm Education Saves Lives, Firearm Ignorance Takes Lives. Ignorance of the Law lands you in Jail. Ignorance of history can cost you your freedoms……..

Reviews

72 Responses to “Gun Sense # 35, Places you Cannot carry Firearms in Ma.”

• Mark Shean says:

Hi Jim, you have already answered you’re own question, (“the owner is fine with you carrying when the business is not open”.)

• Greg says:

I don’t see anything in MA law that prohibits carrying concealed in a bank, hospital or place of worship. Could you direct me to that section of law?

• Mark Shean says:

That is where “policy’ comes in Greg, that is not in law but on a case by case, place by place thing, as designated by the private owner/corporation/management etc. that is why you do not see it in statutory law, as I outlined in #35 Gun Sense.

• Ilias says:

After range can I carry my 9mm on me to Wal-Mart shopping or 7/11 if I don’t have lock for it in the car?

• Mark Shean says:

Yes you can, just make sure that it is concealed.
    If you have ‘what if this’ or ‘what if that’ happens questions, and someone sees it…..my answer to you is to make sure that you correct all the ‘what ifs’ prior to leaving your house so that the ‘what ifs’ do not happen in the first place.

• Rich says:

In my town voting is done at a closed armory that the town owns now. Can I leagally carry my concealed firearm and yes I do have a LTC-a for Ma or is there some law that I’m not seeing thanks Rich

• Mark Shean says:

Did you read #35 carefully? Please take another look.

• Shar says:

Hi Mark, just discovered site: great info!
    I have an “oddball” Q regarding voting:
    Voting in Sturbridge is at the Oliver Wright Tavern owned by Old Sturbridge Village a “living museum”. I cannot find whether this is a public or privately held “museum”, if it is in actuality a true museum, and have no idea if cc is lawful in any case…please advise.
    Thank you.

• Mark Shean says:

Please read #35 Gun Sense again carefully, twice if you don’t get it the first time.

• Bob krieger says:

Can I have a cc in a bar if I am not drinking??

• Mark Shean says:

Unless the bar has a ‘no guns allowed’ “policy”, why not?

• James K says:

Mark, great site! What law says that carrying in a MA state Courthouse is prohibited? Is it just a policy? If so, can one be prosecuted for violating “policy”? What’s the punishment for policy violations? Thanks and keep fighting the good fight!

• Mark Shean says:

They screen everyone entering a courthouse, if you do not have a badge do not carry into a court house.

• James K says:

So no law exists then? What’s the punishment?

• Mark Shean says:

What’s the question?

• James K says:

As asked above, is there a law on the books that states that non LEOs can’t carry in a Courthouse? Or, is it simply a policy of the trial court? Also, if there is no law on the books, than what possible punishment could there be for violating a policy?

• Mark Shean says:

Give it a whirl, then let me know how you made out.

• lance Ferguson says:

“Give it a whirl, then let me know how you made out.”

HAHAHAHAHA yes good reply try it out and let us know what happens, 🙂

• Jim says:

• Mark Shean says:

“I am pretty sure There is no such law against taking a gun into a no guns allowed on private property. Can you site the section in mass law?”

I never said there was a ‘law’ about guns going on private property, I said there is Law and there is Policy, the land owner has the right to have whatever policy he wants on his property, don’t confuse the two.

• Conrad Chaffee says:

I understand that it’s legal to drink in a bar while carrying. Be very careful how much you drink. I also heard it is three years mandatory operating under the influence well carrying a firearm. Is this true?

• Mark Shean says:

As to what is ‘mandatory’ I would need to research that. But by using common sense, if you are going to a bar with the idea of getting smashed, leave the gun at home, don’t be foolish while carrying.