Would you like to join my mailing list? Just enter your email below to sign up!

Concealed Carry


   As of 2005; an FID card or LTC no longer allows you to purchase a hunting license,  but,  if you happen to have a previous hunting license dated from 2007 or older, that would suffice for you to obtain a new hunting license without your having to go through the hunter safety course. For more information call the Ma. Wildlife Department at 978-772-0693 for upcoming classes, or call Bass Pro Shops in Foxboro at 508-216-2000, as they sometimes host the Hunter Safety classes in their store.

Also a Mr. Michael J. Pierdinock  a Massachusetts Certified Master Basic Hunter Education Instructor will teach two classes per year at Old Colony Sportsman’s Club in Pembroke.  His email address is:  for more information.

Topics covered during the Basic Hunter Education course include: safe handling of hunting arms and ammunition, hunting laws and ethics, wildlife identification, wildlife management, care and handling of game, basic survival skills, and first aid. The course also allows students 15 years or older to apply for a firearms license, (FID) at their local police departments. These Certificates of Completion are also recognized in all the United States, (to bad our gun licenses are not…) Canada, and Mexico for the purchase of a hunting or sporting license. The state requires this to be a 12 hour course.

Basic Hunter Education courses  are posted at other useful links are as follows: for schedule of classes,  also to submit an online form:

You can sign up to be notified by MA F&W when  the course becomes available.  This is done by going to their  website:
On the left click: Education & Events
Under ” Outdoor Skills & Safety click: Hunter  Education
Under Quick Links click: Hunter Education Course  Schedules
On the next page click: Basic Education
In the middle of the page click: Request to be notified of upcoming  courses.
On the next page is the request form.  Fill this form out and  submit.
   This will allow you to be notified when the course is available for  registration.  ANY QUESTIONS MUST BE DIRECTED TO MA F&W.

Previous graduates who have lost their certificates may obtain a duplicate by calling 978-772-0693 or filling out a form requesting a duplicate on the website at

New Electronic Licensing Website started in 2011. Inquiries regarding purchases of electronic licenses and permits from MassFishHunt should be directed to ActiveOutdoors by calling toll free 888-773-8450 or emailing:  License buyers will still be able to purchase the traditional paper hunting, trapping and freshwater fishing licenses and stamps at license vendors throughout the state until the switch is made to an entirely electronic system. For a list of current hunting, trapping, and freshwater fishing license vendors:

You can subscribe to be notified when a Massachusetts Trapper Education course is available. The Trapper Education course listed below is now open for enrollment. Or contact:  “Education, Hunter (FWE)”

If you are interested in the course, please call 508-389-7830  classes are filled first-come, first-served, and enrollment cannot be processed via email.

Also, please be advised, that if you are taking the course as mandated for first-time trappers and Problem Animal Control (PAC) Agents in order to apply for a Massachusetts trap registration number, a state issued certificate from any US state is accepted to meet this requirement.

Thank you for your interest in the Mass Wildlife Hunter Education Program.

NOTE:  Age 15 up to 18, The fee for FID is $25, as stated in the MA General Law (Chapter 140, section 129B)

(9C) Except as provided in clause (9B), the fee for an application for a firearm identification card for any person under the age of 18 shall be $25, which shall be payable to the licensing authority and shall not be prorated or refunded in the case of revocation or denial. The licensing authority shall retain 50 per cent of the fee and the remaining portion shall be deposited into the General Fund. Notwithstanding any general or special law to the contrary, licensing authorities shall deposit quarterly that portion of the firearm identification card application fee which is to be deposited into the General Fund, not later than January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1 of each year.

Submitted by,

Mark Shean, Author of Gun Sense, good for where people and guns are together.

Leave a Reply