Would you like to join my mailing list? Just enter your email below to sign up!

Concealed Carry


This information is for those who live in Massachusetts and have either a Firearm Identification Card (FID) or a License to Carry permit (LTC). This information can save you from losing your gun permit and or paying a huge fine of $10,000; Any FID card holder or LTC licensee shall notify, in writing, the original licensing authority who issued said license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the executive director of the criminal history systems board of any change of address. Such notification shall be made by certified mail, (with a return receipt for your protection) within 30 days of changing your address. Failure to do so shall be cause for revocation or suspension of said license.

Basically the state wants you to to photocopy the front side of your gun permit three (3) times, When you send in the states Change of Address Notification form, you send it to three (3) different places.

1. To the police chief in your old city or town,

2. To the police chief in your new city or town,

3. To the Firearms Record Bureau at 200 Arlington st. Suite 2200, in Chelsea Ma. 02150.


So you will attach to each notification form a copy of the (front) of your gun permit, and mail them out. It is very important that you file away the return receipts when they come back to you, in a safe place, later they may come in very handy as proof that you did what you were supposed to do. Police departments may (misfile) this information and not have it when you go to renew your permit in a new town later, so CYA. And if you trust the state not to (lose) your information,…..God bless you. I don’t trust the state to do anything efficiently except to create new tax burdens/fees.

Your local police stations should carry the Change of Address Notification forms if you need them, or the Firearms Record Bureau in Chelsea, (617-660-4780 or 4600) could mail them to you, or they can be downloaded  from the Ma. State Police website. You DO NOT need to fill them out if your only moving from one street in your town to another street within your town because your still in your town, also you DO NOT need to fill them out if your moving out of state. I put one copy of the form in each folder I hand out in class so that you can make as many copies as you need. Just keep in mind that the Change of Address Notification forms have explicit directions on them for your convenience, read them.

NOTE: As far as where the criminals live and keep their guns, no one knows, but by God, you should feel all warm and fuzzy knowing all the people least likely to commit crimes, (legal gun owners) are right under the thumb of big brother at all times, makes me feel good all over, and makes politicians feel they have created something really special and important, (more likely impotent). As far as the number of crimes this address notification form has prevented, there are no statistics readily available at this time, and there never will be…….

Renewal ‘Tip”:

    Your permit is good now for 6 years and expires on your birthday. You are supposed to get a ‘reminder’ notice to renew, but don’t hold your breath waiting for it to come, I have never seen one since 1970, I know some people who have and have not got one. At least 3 months before it expires you should start the renewal process anyway, (please read Gun Sense #39) if you have started that process ‘prior’ to expiration, and your birthday comes before you have received your new permit, you will be given a receipt  along with your old gun permit, together they will be honored for as long as it takes the state to send you your new license. Please read Gun Sense #41.

Here is the ‘catch’, if your permit expires and you never started the renewal process,  you can/will lose your license/guns and, (in some towns) you will need to go through the safety class/process again before you can get them back, also you may be fined $500, as ridiculous as that fee sounds it is true and can be enforced! Hey, you keep these pinheads in office…..

So please, mark it on your calendar three months out, and try to pay attention. If you do not want to renew your license it is up to you to legally get rid of your firearm(s) prior to your license expiration so that you will not be in illegal possession of them. I know that ‘life’ sometimes can get in the way, that is why I give you this reminder. If you took my class you will know where I stand on this issue….Sincerely,

Mark Shean,  About Me

Reviews  Towns Served  FLORIDA CCW Info.  -written 11-30-2009, revised 8-13-2014

For Ma. Firearm Transaction list;  choose the option you need.


Your comments/insight are welcomed.

15 Responses to “Gun Sense #14, Change of Address Notification Forms-and a Renewal ‘tip’, Ma.”

  • windangyle6669 says:

    Thank you once again Mark. I know that I sincerly appreciate all the information you post here and I believe that many other people do as well. It is ironic how the government is so quick to locate our guns (law abiding,licensed gun owners) yet they dont seem so interested in the illegal guns that are carried by the criminals. It will be a very sad day when the government goes door to door trying to retrieve the legal firearms- they will have a hell of time getting mine. My fiance (shawn) often says Id rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6. I very much agree with this. It is about time that our country follows the example of Switzerland and excepts the fact that an armed society is a polite society. If a criminal knows that every house in the neighborhood has a firearm they are not as likely to rob these houses. If you know that the man sitting next to you on the bus is carrying, your not as likely to start a fight. If the rapest/robber/mugger knows the small petite female walking to her car is carrying they are not as likely to try and attack her, and if the criminal examples are not that smart- then these inocent people can protect themselves. I have much respect for the police and other public servants, but the truth is they are more often than not a mop up crew to take pictures and clean up a crime scene rather then to save the day. So once again we are at the point where the government will control and put their thumb on the good people and let criminals victimize the innocent- well isnt that an example of a free country. I love my country and my fellow citizens but the government scares the crap out of me. Hold on tight and try to survive the ride, but I fear that if we dont start to speak and defend our selves and our rights we are in for alot of trouble and a long fight against those who claim they have our best intrest in mind. Dont let OUR country turn into a mass genecide example that history has shown us over and over again. Anyone who reads this post or any others should start to speak- comment- if we all speak they will have no choice but to listen! Again thank you Mark for not only giving us a place to learn but also a place to speak. Nelly NOTE: Your comments are always welcome because of their sincerity Nelly, so I thank you. Mark

  • Luke French says:

    Good information, Mark. Just one note: you wrote about sending the form to ‘the chief of police in your old city or town’. The form actually states that you should send it to the licensing authority that issued the FID or LTC. Since I’ve moved a couple times, I think it’s important to note that I’m not sending the info to the town I’m moving out of, it’s the town that gave me the license.



  • Mark Shean says:

    Hi Luke, Thank you for that oversight, I meant what you said only in the sense that ‘old city or town’ meaning where you lived and probably did have your license issued to you in the first place. You are correct, Thanks, M.S.

  • mark says:

    I have already been denied due to an address change, can I appeal it?

  • Mark Shean says:

    I would, please read #13 Gun Sense. And ask for an interview with the Chief, I don’t know what town you’re in but maybe he can be ‘reasoned’ with. it is worth a shot.

  • Peter says:

    What if the 30 days has come and gone. Will filing it late bring more attention on yourself? Also what if you changed residences but In the same town?

  • Mark Shean says:

    Could you give me a call tomorrow? 508-333-6151

  • Russell Joe says:

    I will be moving to a new location with in the second township would I still need to fill out forms and send?

  • Russell Joe says:

    I will be moving to a different location within the same town do I need to fill out these forms and mail

  • Mark Shean says:

    No Joe, only if you move to another town. The next time on the application just put your new address. I will look at Gun Sense #14, I thought I had put that in there?

  • Mark Shean says:

    If you received the license in the town where you live and you move to another street in that town then you do not need to fill out the forms. If you move to a different town you will need to fill out the forms within 30 days of moving.

  • Steve says:

    Mark, Thank you for the information you provide. I’m moving out of state and can’t seem to get the same answer from anyone regardless of who I speak with. Hoping you can help. If I move out of state and don’t notify the MA entities you noted my take is that my license will be revoked and that would hamper my ability to get a license in the state in the future if I chose to. My concern/question is that IF I fill out the form does the state then notify the state I’m moving to what guns I owned? I don’t feel it’s their business to know the guns I’ve owned and the state I’m moving to doesn’t ask what guns I own.

    The other option is to just notify the town that issued my license that I’m moving out of state and not fill out the form or don’t fill out the new address on the form. I’d appreciate your thoughts and knowledge on this topic. Thank you..

  • Mark Shean says:

    Hi Steve, if you move out of state it is no ones business but your own, you do not need to contact anyone in Ma. You will be required to fill out what ever the state your moving into requires you to do, that’s all.

  • Steve says:

    Thank you. So the only risk I have is if I were to ever move to MA again (which ain’t happening) that I wouldn’t be able to get my license there. There is no tracking of the movement of guns or anything like that to your knowledge where it would be kept and or reported on a national basis in the state that I move to correct? Thanks for your indulgence.

  • Mark Shean says:

    No, there is no tracking of guns, I do not know what state/town you are moving to but you will need to find out what you need to do, once there to get that states gun license, if they require one.

Leave a Reply